**If you don’t have a Thermomix®, you can mix the ingredients in an ordinary bowl and knead the dough for about 10 minutes till it is pliable and smooth**
I can’t actually recall that I’ve ever eaten wontons before, but I liked the look of them when my children and I were doing craft activities for Chinese New Year, so thought I’d give them a try. I found a recipe in an old book, so had to convert it for the Thermomix®, and have been really happy with the end result.
It is my understanding that wontons can be either steamed or fried. Obviouly steaming it in the Veroma is going to be healthier than deep frying, so we went for that option.
For fillings – the options are as vast as your preferences. Our first attempt was with a minced beef (a few seconds, roughly, in the Thermie), tomato and coriander. The second attempt was with cooked ham, garlic and kale. Both were lovely.
If you’re planning on making a lot of wrappers but only using a few, I’d suggest laying them in a single layer on a baking tray, and freezing them like that. Once frozen, put them together in a container. If you don’t they’ll freeze as a solid lump!
These are really quick and oh-so-easy, although rolling the dough thinly enough might require some practice, or a pasta maker.
- 250g / 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup water
- milk for brushing
- Add the flour to the bowl, and pulse two or three times
- Add egg, salt and water
- Mix for 5 seconds/speed 5
- Knead for 90 seconds/dough speed
- Set aside for 30 - 60 minutes for the dough to rest.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for the pasta maker to make the dough as thin as you can. Otherwise roll it as thinly as possible, before cutting into squares.
- If you're not going to cook immediately, use corn flour to separate the sheets (normal flour will be absorbed)
- Lightly brush the edges with milk or egg
- Scoop a spoon full of filling into the centre of your square, then take opposing corners and bring them together.
- Squeeze the corners together to seal, then twirl them around.
- Place them inside the Veroma
- Fill the Thermomix® Bowl to the 1 litre mark, place Veroma on top and boil at Veroma speed/20 mins.
- Serve hot.