I’m a huge fan of cheese biscuits, and I’m pleased to say my girls are following in my cheese-loving footsteps. This recipe is really simple, as are all the Kids in the Kitchen recipes, and it’s a fab hands-on way to introduce kneading.
Teaching points for Easy Cheesy Biscuits:
There isn’t an obvious liquid source to these cheese biscuits (like added milk), so it may at first appear really dry. Just keep kneading the cheese and butter and eventually, it’ll come together. Also crumbing is a great skill – particularly useful in scone making. Use fingers to ‘crumb’ butter and flour together.
I like to add a variety of spices (salt, pepper, rosemary, paprika etc) but Ellemae, our little chef, prefers them plain and she’s the boss for now. Talk about adding different herbs for different flavours.
Kids seem to like cutting the centre of the rolled out dough first, but use this opportunity to explain the most effective way to get the most cookies out of a single roll, squash it all together and do the same again. Sometimes it means cutting shapes sideways or upside down, but making the shapes fit the best way possible. Explain that overworking the dough can make it dry and crumbly.
- Rolling out
- Use a cookie cutter
You can buy the recipe cards here for 99p. We print, laminate and attach to a keyring.
- 25g soft butter
- 50g self-raising flour
- 100g cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and dry them well.
- Grate the cheese.
- Place the butter and flour into a large bowl.
- Rub together using your fingertips till the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese and mix everything together with your hands until it turns into a soft dough. This may take a few minutes.
- (Add any optional ingredients and mix.)
- Sprinkle a little flour over the worktop and place the dough on top.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it's about as thick as a coin.
- Press the cutter into the dough and lift it off. (The number of biscuits will depend on the size of your cutter.)
- Repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Put the biscuits on a greased baking tray (or on baking paper)
- Bake them in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes until they are a golden colour.
Find more Kids in the Kitchen recipes on the blog!
One Reply to “Easy Cheesy Biscuits – Kids In The Kitchen”
Comments are closed.