Raw Pecan Pie
Mmmmmm Pecan Pie! I was in a cooking mood (Well, technically 'Uncooking' hehe) but my cupboards were looking rather bare. Pecans! I had loads of pecans. So naturally the first thought to pop into my head was PECAN PIE. Yum. But not any old fatty, creamy pie, this pie is raw, sugar free, vegan, gluten free, made with a couple of wholesome, healthy ingredients. You can make them as big or small as you want. You could double the recipe and make one big pie or lots of mini ones. I put mine into silicon cupcake cases and it's a great size and made them easy to take out, Perfect!
Recipe type: Dessert or Snack
- For the base:
- 1 Cup Nuts - I used half cashew, half almond and that worked well
- 3 Medjool Dates - Or if not medjool, use a few more and soak in water for 30mins before using
- Pinch of salt
- For the Filling:
- ½ Cup Pecans
- ½ Cup Medjool Dates (about 6) same as above if not using medjool
- ½ Vanilla bean pod, scrape the seeds out - or a couple of drops of vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Water - enough to make the paste soft and smooth
- Also don't forget some extra Pecans for the top - amount varies on how big or small you make your pies
- For the base : In a Thermomix® or food processor combine all of the ingredients and blend until the pieces are broken down and stick together when pressed. Spoon evenly into your desired pan or cupcake cases. I used silicon to help with removal.
- Press down gently to create a thin, even crust on the bottom and sides.
- Put them in the freezer while making the filling.
- For the filling: Place the dates, vanilla & pecans in a Thermomix® or food processor.
- Add about 1-2 tbsp fresh water and blend until smooth and gooey, scraping down the sides often.
- Spoon into the chilled crusts and top with extra pecans.
- Place in refrigerator and allow pies to set for at least 1 hour.